ECU Flash for VR4

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
99 Galant, black, Sunroof, manual, Recaros
yes i could be done, but you mentioned yourself it would not be a vary accurate tune..

LYNDON

Idling at the Lights
First Name
LYNDON
Drive
1997 VR4 GALANT
just back from testing my gm 3 port solenoid. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got boost to go up to 12psi using only about 50-60% duty cycle. wgdc c & d did the adjustment! so now for the tech guys: 1) i noticed the boost desired engine load (bdel) can only be adjusted up to 160. this means that there should be a boost offset map. cuz like the evo which i'm accustom to tuning the use an offset map together wit bdel to set their load based boost curve. because the evo bdel also max at 160. but the offset adds extra load value to the bdel map. 2) i also noticed that there is no boost error map. which is also kinda needed to fine tune the boost curve.
hope i don't sound pushy but i cant do that tech stuff where u guys unlock the maps. so i just suggesting what u could look for next when u guys are discovering new maps. btw ecu boost control rocks! any data needed or testing u may want me to do just let me know.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Did you use a solid state relay for your 3 port or run it direct off the ECU output, actually what does the factory do (Maybe the relay is my solenoid problem if there is one)? and do you use the 3 port to bleed like the factory does or block pressure to the wastegates like most aftermarket ebc's do? Just curious? Yeah there possibly is an offset, like the evo's, but I saw 15psi easily on the car I tried without the offset, if it exists. I didn't get to sort out my solenoid on the weekend but I'll try this week and keep you posted on results. If anyone else beats me to it, and saves me a heap of time, great.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
EcuFlash 1.42 Released
•support for flashing H8/539FA processor (e.g. Evo 6.5) via new H8539FA memory model

So my mate and I had a go at flashing my ECU and were successful. My details are

CaseID MD340288/MD340289
Internal ID 2003001
Memory Module H8539F

can confirm that it works with EcuFlash 1.42 and the version 2.0 cable

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Danners,
We are not disputing that, there are many ECUs that have been read & flashed successfully. If you have a look at the ECU Database thread here:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?6657-ECU-Database-which-do-you-have
There are a number of chips marked either MH7202F, MH7203FA and in particular post #8, H8/539. It appears that ECU's with the chipset marked H8/539 are not flashable. The 7202 and 7203 are no problem (as you have found yourself)

;)

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I've only had the car for a few days now.... so noobing it up :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
How do you know the memory model is H8539F not H8539FA?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
So my mate and I had a go at flashing my ECU and were successful. My details are

CaseID MD340288/MD340289
Internal ID 2003001
Memory Module H8539F

can confirm that it works with EcuFlash 1.42 and the version 2.0 cable

I think its safe to say..

"Pictures or it didn't happen" :D

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Hey Guys,

Just need to confirm that the correct 2byte Load MUT address's are as follows

MUT00 = 0xF0D8
MUT01 = 0xF0D9

Cause thats what we are currently using as 2byte LOAD address's and we got spikes of 200+ with the stock tune

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I usually have more success with F0CE and F0CF

LYNDON

Idling at the Lights
First Name
LYNDON
Drive
1997 VR4 GALANT
Did you use a solid state relay for your 3 port or run it direct off the ECU output, actually what does the factory do (Maybe the relay is my solenoid problem if there is one)? and do you use the 3 port to bleed like the factory does or block pressure to the wastegates like most aftermarket ebc's do? Just curious? Yeah there possibly is an offset, like the evo's, but I saw 15psi easily on the car I tried without the offset, if it exists. I didn't get to sort out my solenoid on the weekend but I'll try this week and keep you posted on results. If anyone else beats me to it, and saves me a heap of time, great.

i did the install in the same way the evo's do it. i cut the original jack goin to the oem solenoid and wired in the gm jack wit a 5.6 ohm resistor and just plugged in the gm solenoid to it. u can get a more detailed write up on how to install and tune the gm solenoids at http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecufla...-using-ecuflash-3-port-gm-boost-solenoid.html

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Thanks, got my issues sorted now (was missing a restrictor) so playing around now, excellent results so far but it can't avoid wastegate creep like a 3 port can. I'll play with controlling my 3 port with the factory ECU next.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Managed to flash my 7203. Yay.

Had issues finding the Max Timing Retard parameter (not the same as on Merlins guide). Just wanna do some ALS mods.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah a lot of the guide values are incorrect. I don't know what the max retard value address is but I haven't really wanted to know so....

before you start tuning (if you haven't already) make sure you read through this thread first as there are fuel table issues also.... Good luck with it

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
Thanks mate, really only making little tweaks before making some wholesale changes to the air intake early next year.

Merlin pointed me at another possibility for the Max Retard address, but no dice. I actually scanned the whole Rom on EcuEdit trying to find the same value, but that didn't work either. Bizarrely, retarding the timing on the High Octane timing maps worked anyway, so all Anti Lagged up and loving it.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah you can retard it a fair way before hitting the limit.... and if you enrich it up should get a couple of pops and bangs....

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
The tricky bit now is controlling myself so i'm not over 4000 RPM at every moment possible.

I'm getting pops and bangs without any more rich, but I have a revised tune sitting on my laptop here now. I'm going to upload it in the carpark and log data on the trip home. This one has a bit more rich in the Pop Bang zone and more lean up top where it was mega rich.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Mack, I checked your rom and the addresses I sent you ARE CORRECT!
The stock setting allows a max of -10.6* spark advance. Putting more than that in the spark map will only give you -10.6*.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
Hi mate, there is something odd with my rom.

I have no doubt they are the correct addresses, but on my particular rom those addresses have null values and can't be adjusted on EcuFlash. Might be an anomoly on my particular rom. I'll try to change them on ECU Edit and see if that does anything, but so far as ALS on my car for the road is concerned, I'm happy with the current settings.

I did set timing map to -15* and have done a heap of logging but haven't have time to review the logs on my computer (I log on the EvoScan GPS device). I'll check my stock ROM against another, here's the XML i'm using:

<table name="Ignition Max Retard Degrees - decimal" category="Ignition Parameters" address="1051d" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Retarduint16" />

<table name="Ignition Max Retard Degrees - hex" category="Ignition Parameters" address="1051e" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RetardHex8" />

Top Bottom