VR4s...just for the old?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Looking at this website, i've noticed a distinct trend in VR4 owners. Everyone has kids/wives/morgages/grey hair (had to add that last one:D)...am i the only 19 yr old young hoon around that actually owns one? And no before anyone asks my parents didnt pay for it. So yeah i turn up to cruises and all my mates are driving s13's, r32's, 180's etc...my car certainly dont feel like a granny mobile, so why arent more young people getting involved?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
yeah good point...most kids round my age are more interested in having a car that they can slide (quite often into tree's, poles, down ditches) than they are in having a 4wd that sticks to the bitumen like glue.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Maybe because it takes a certain amount of maturity and experience to appreciate the benfits of such a car? Don't forget most people don't even know what a VR4 IS - 80% of Australians either don't want to know about anything other than Holden or Ford, or simply don't care. Those who care about real performance are split over European and Japanese cars, and being people most of them are suckered into the cars with large marketing budgets behind them.

VR4's are never going to have a huge following in Australia (well, unless Mitsi decide to relaunch them - there weren't really a huge amount ever made) and it will always be those looking a little harder than most that will appreciate them.

G

Unregistered
I know what ya mean, I'm 21 and my mates have either skylines, ss utes, xr6's etc. The main reason is that even though the word is spreading about the car, a LOT of people still don't know about them.

G

Unregistered
i dont quite think holden and ford have 80% of australia's market....

i'm 21 as well, had a modded R33 for 3 years before, and i just wanted something different to everyone else... at least this time i know only 799 other people can have the same car as me, rather than the 79,999 that had R33's :p

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
yea im 22, i wanted something different, with a bit of space but it had to be able to perform!

I think that maturity thing has a lot to do with it too, but thats alright, i dont want vr4s being driven by dickheads and getting a similar stigma to skyline or silvia drivers

leg-it

Crunching Gears
First Name
Alex C
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
I think that in the next year or two there will be alot more around the streets of OZ. it's cool that when you go out driving any were at the moment, people are all like, What's that car your driving? is it some new magna ? then you tell them it twin turbo and they look at you with there eyes coming out there head, then you tell them it's 4x4, with AYC, like an EVO and then they get pissed off and act like they think your bragging!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Just a quick message to some of the younger members here and I'm gonna sound like a old fart saying this but I've noticed a few of the younger guy's having to sell off there cars because they've lost there licence for 12 months or so.
Easy solution keep of the GO HARD button and when you do feel like "giving it some" pick a road and drive up it in both directions first, making sure there ain't no hidden surprises waiting around the corner.
Once you've done that smash that accelerator into the firewall as hard as you can but don't forget to stop.
cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
or younger guys that have owned it for 2 months and then had to sell cause they've run out of money. I've owned my VR-4 since I was 20, not planning on selling it anytime soon.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
^^^^ What Peter_D said.

From another old fart VR-4 driver with kids, wife, mortgage and grey hair.

Not that the grey hair is related to any of the first three things. lol

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Yeah same here. You'd have to be about 21-22 before you can drive one in NSW.

I'm 25, have wanted one of these forever and a day. Could only afford it recently.

G

Unregistered
I'm 23 and sold my S2000 to buy one of these.
Everyone tells me it was a bad move, but now i have more flexibility, more practicality and more performance. I'm willing to sacrifice that for just looks - although in an ideal world, i would have kept the S2k as a weekender

G

Unregistered
Well I'm 23, and from where I sit (which atm is at work in front of my computer) they make a lot more sense than much of the performance car market.
I think the big reason as to why many of the owners (particularly of Legnums) seem to be more mature is the issue of practicality. It seems that we've all had the quick coupe, and now need a little more space. Or in my case with the Prelude, a helluva lot more space. (Which is why I'll be ordering my VR4 shortly.)
They're just not an "obvious" choice, which is another thing I like about them.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Wait for it...if a Hot 4's magazine ever has a done up Leggie in it people will go through the roof trying to buy them and one up each other.
But like it was said before people here don't know them and thus are scared of them...don't know how to tune them etc and thus they will never be a main stream car. That is good for us who have them..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
i dont quite think holden and ford have 80% of australia's market....
Neither do I Mitch:
80% of Australians either don't want to know about anything other than Holden or Ford, or simply don't care.
That 'simply don't care' part relates to everyone on the road that has a car to get from A to B without substantial consideration for performance, looks or brand. That includes most of the girls I know and a lot of the guys, too. Such people take little to no notice of vehicles around them - everything gets lumped into categories like 'cars' 'trucks' and 'motorcycles'.

Just a quick message to some of the younger members here and I'm gonna sound like a old fart saying this but I've noticed a few of the younger guy's having to sell off there cars because they've lost their licence for 12 months or so.
Easy solution keep of the GO HARD button and when you do feel like "giving it some" pick a road and drive up it in both directions first, making sure there ain't no hidden surprises waiting around the corner.
Once you've done that smash that accelerator into the firewall as hard as you can but don't forget to stop.
cheers
While I respect your thoughts on this Pete 'staying off the go-hard button' isn't necessarily an 'easy solution' if it's not the problem in the first place. I will agree that sticking solidly under the posted speed limit will go a long way, but so will driving like an anal-retentive, such as stopping at every stop sign for three seconds (I actually do this now - its freaken ridiculous) and stop your car on the side of the road whenever you see a cop and wait until they're gone (only done this a couple of times ;)). I've never been done for anything like dangerous speed and never been so much as pulled over whilst driving a performance car.

My recommendation for keeping your license is to always drive like there's a cop behind you. Seriously, if you wouldn't do 10km/s over with a cop behind you, why are you risking it when there could be one around the next corner? If you wouldn't run an amber light with a cop behind you, change lanes without indicating etc, then don't do it at other times - apart from the legal implicatations, a lot of laws are there because doing that shit is bloody dangerous!

Not that I'm saying certain things that are termed 'illegal' are all necessarily dangerous, mind - personally I think a lot of road laws throughout Australia need a major review. But unless that actually happens, cops can take your license away in an instant, and believe me its not fun. Its not about the money - I couldn't care less about a few hundred dollars in fines. Its about the impact that no license has on your life - its a financial, personal and emotional strain on your life.

Protect your license. It's invaluable because no amount of money can buy it back once you've lost it, and no amount of arguement with cops or magistrates will make a whit of difference to you when your ass is sitting on that bus. The law isn't designed to be 'fair', it's designed to keep morons who aren't capable of driving safely safe from each other, and especially those who choose to operate outside the restrictive boundaries they set in place. The best (and only) way to avoid the problem altogether is to avoid attention from the law at all times.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Another vote for practicallity (and heading for old fart status! LOL).

Im 27 (nearly 28) and I owned an R33 GTSt until just recently. I would have probably kept it a while longer, BUT my first child is on the way and due in a couple of months! So I needed something practical as a family car as a baby seat wasn't going to fit in the R33 :ROFLMAO:

As for why less young people? Drift is the popular motorsport for the young guns at the moment, and you can't drift an AWD. There is always exceptions to the rule and why some of you "young pups" are driving galants/legnums - you know a real thrill is speed around a corner, not sliding it! :D

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
23 here too. I went for it because i wanted 4wd, 4 doors and turbo. I was preferably after a 6 cylinder, but would have gone 4, and did NOT want a wrx. So with these criteria there aren't many alternatives, and when you look at all the stuff you get in a leggie, (performance, comfort and practicality wise) how could you say no.

Top Bottom