VR4s...just for the old?

G

Unregistered
There are heaps of young people driving 7th Generation VR4's ...
Don't think the wagons would appeal to younger people and the Galant sedan's are rarer.
I had a 200sx, but as u get older 4 doors are mor practical and the boot space is great for bunnings trips ;) its that perfect car for the older guy because is practical and the misses wont look under the bonnet and find the twin turbos LOL.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I really like the fact that there are (so far) only a handful of VR-4s around. I don't WANT to be driving a car where there's at least one in every neighbourhood. I remember 12 years ago when I first came to Oz I got excited (no, not THAT kind of excited, you shut up :p) when I saw an R32 Skyline. At the time I had only ever seen them in Japan, and didn't know they had made their way to other markets. Now I see a couple R32s and R34s every week, and at least one R33 nearly every day - they're a dime a dozen now!

In fact I reckon I see fewer 5th Gen VW Jettas (our other car) than I do imported Skylines... and Jettas are officially sold here.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
im 18,nearly 19 and i want one,just because its got 4 doors,nice inside and out and best of all its different,with a huge boot for a custom sound system,and seeing ill be at uni for a few more years couldnt see why not get a loan to pay off.

plus didnt wanna just get a skyline like everyone else seems to be doing,or be like my mate who blew his up in 5 days of getting it,now hes had to leave to the mines to pay for fixing it

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
i'm 21 and the reason why i chose the legnum was...
*I wanted something more practical than my last car, more space, not so low, not such a cop magnet.
*I was considering 4wd's but i didn't want anything slow nor lose the ability to go fast around corners.
*Finally just look at them, drive them and you are sold.
I dont think there is anything like driving a car for the first time, and falling in love with it. Then everytime you see it its like rolling over in bed to jessica alba in the morning!!! lol
The reason why younger people dont drive them is simple, they dont have the money, they look at aust released cars like wrx's etc... and no one knows what they are. Oh yeah and people are scared of the importing scheme and there not rwd and easily modified. As said earlier if they aren't in magazines, movies or what not, kids just aren't interested and i like that cos it keeps down our insurance premiums and we dont get raped like the 33 owners who bought rare cars and then 3 years later the value has halfed and the number of cars has more than quadrupled.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
G'Day All. My name is Gavin... I'm 31 (regressing to 21) and have a Legnum problem *heh*

Actually, this is my first true performance car after puttling around town in the faithful Magna. I was always looking for something AWD and quick whilst still being in a wagon since I'd had one since I was 18. *whistles innocently*

To me, it's a ute with a lid and I can actually use the back for passengers at times as well. Mountain bikes, hiking gear, guitars/amps are the mainstays of my load-outs and it's great to drive it with some grunt behind you.

The anonymity of these cars are great (for the moment ladies and gents, so enjoy it whilst it lasts) and it's just KNOWING that you have the power on-tap to use, rather than having a harlequin paintjob and having to show off... maybe it is a different mindset?

The Super VR-4 was a perfect choice for me.

Bodykit? Check! (love the front canards)
Recaro seats/interior? Check!
Momo steering wheel? Check!
AYC? Check!
ASC? Check!
AWD? Check!
Twin snails? Check!

So effectively a "stock" fitted-out car with all the factory fruit that I'd usually spend to modify anyway.

As I mentioned in another thread... those who know are thrilled to see and spot one. The rest... meh, I care not for the opinions of A-to-B pilots :D

Cheers!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
i'm 28 and went for a legnum as my up graded sports/work car. Look far better than the stagea i was heading for. The wagon is just so practical for family life. Don't need to sacrifice power for space. I also don't think i'm that old, but in NSW you have to be over 20/21 to drive a turbo, not that it seems to stop many people as i see wrx, skylines with p's anyway

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Been a lot of good points through this thread...think i'll sum up the main points with
people dont know about them
people are scared of importing (80% of the guys/girls i cruise with have a car thats been imported previously)
Kids want to drift, do "sick burnouts" and shit.
Think this culture that vr4's are driven by older generations is changing as the car receives more recognition is oz...have taken quite a few people for a drive in my car and as they get out they've asked "would you kill me if i bought one?". :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
i'm 28 and went for a legnum as my up graded sports/work car. Look far better than the stagea i was heading for. The wagon is just so practical for family life. Don't need to sacrifice power for space. I also don't think i'm that old, but in NSW you have to be over 20/21 to drive a turbo, not that it seems to stop many people as i see wrx, skylines with p's anyway

The law only came into effect last July, so there's plenty of P-platers who got through before it. Also there's apparently some stupid loop-hole that if the car is owned by your parents you can use it lol...how ridiculous!? Most of these kids get it in their parents' name anyway for insurance!! (Not that it makes any difference)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im 19 too, and yes at the meets i feel somewhat young compared to the general trend, but yeah i didnt want to be another skyline driver.. though the s15 i looked at was a close call, the vr4 just felt more 'me'

G

Unregistered
Age means nothing ... u can do anything at any age so who cares.

G

Unregistered
hahahaha maybe she can ... get her into politics early ... hahaha

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Agreed on "you can do anything at any age"... the problems begin when you start doing anything with anyone of any age.

G

Unregistered
Im 24 and i was going to buy a R32 skyline GTR but when i sat in it and i couldnt sit upright i decided against it. It was only by pure luck they had a Black VR4 Galant that i took it for a test drive. But basicly it had to meet some specific specifications:-
*6 cylinder or bigger
*Blown
*Rear wheel or All wheel drive
*Manual
*Unique

The hardest thing to tick off was unique so when i saw her i fell in love and i cant imagine driving anything else. I didnt want to become another Skyline driver.

G

Unregistered
How can u not tick off unique ? Twin Turbo is unique. there aren't too many VR4s on the road.
Skyline would have to be the least unique Japan import on the road. That and the S13 (180s and silvias) and Delicia...

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
Paul, i think you'll find he means that finding a car that meats those criteria that is unique (ie. not another frigin skyline) is hard, and that the VR4, leggie or galant, meets this criteria. A VR4 is definately unique, i have never seen another leggie on the road, and i have only ever seen one galant, which was actually while i was test driving the leggie. That was one of my big criteria to, didn't want a wrx, skyline, 180sx, 200sx, silvia, or even stagea because they have become so common. The stagea less than the others, but they are starting to become more and more common, i'm seeing a couple on the road every week.

Top Bottom