VR4s...just for the old?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I've always had a thing for fast cars, when I was 17 (1997) I had a highly modified 308 LX SS torana hatch for my first car. Was great fun to drive it hard, used to have a great sound to it, however I was a student on Austudy and it was a joke trying to maintain the thing, every week something new broke down or fell off. I couldn't even afford a security system, and this car didn't need the keys to start it, so I used to take out the rotor button and put it in my pocket.... I sold it for $5k 2 years later. (Worth $50k now!)

Fast forward 10 years (2007) I decided I wanted a fast car, something in the range of a 12-13 sec 1/4 mile time. So I set my budget to $20k max and had a looked at what was available.

Skyline was the obvious choice, fast, 4WD, lots of bolt on mods available, but there are so bloody many of them.
180SX was next. Only RWD but good bolt on mods available.
Next option was the RX-7, 1988 one. A reasonably priced twin turbo rotary thats easy to modify and get serious power out of.

I came across the VR-4 Galant/Legnum on prestige's website and I was like, "wtf is this?" Looked at the specs, "Cool... V6 twin turbo 4WD." Looked at the interior, "Wow, luxurious!" , Looked at the price, "That cant be right? $10k? So cheap, what's the catch?" No catch... Next stage, "Can they be modified to make a 12-13 sec 1/4 mile run?" Came across this website and bombarded it with 'how to modify' questions and then found the 'RPW R&D car wanted ' thread and my thought was, "This guy is gonna use my car"

G

Unregistered
How can u not tick off unique ? Twin Turbo is unique. there aren't too many VR4s on the road.

See Marks Comment

Paul, i think you'll find he means that finding a car that meats those criteria that is unique (ie. not another frigin skyline) is hard, and that the VR4, leggie or galant, meets this criteria.

Spot on man. Skyline = common, VR4 = Unique

G

Unregistered
Brocky ur first post still didn't make sense ... LOL
U said u went to get a R32 (which is not unique) then afterwards u said u say the VR4 but it had to meet requirements ... hence my comment.

Who cares ur in the best car on the market for the price :)

G

Unregistered
I'm 25 and the Legnum is the 3rd performance car I've owned. I still have a 200awkw GTiR that I am now in the process of rebuilding and I recently sold my RB20DET powered 260Z. While I love the performance (and subtlety) of the Legnum, the main reason I bought it was to have something to cart all my band gear around in!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Too much tofu will shrink your nuts, it's got high levels of the hormone estrogen in it.

G

Unregistered
Well im 20. I was actually after a 3000GT (GTO), yes I have a thing for Mitsis. My first car was a TS V6 Magna wagon. Had that for 8 months never had a problem. Traded when i was 18 to a TJ Magna VRX. That car was similar to a vr4 in that people underestimated it. Once again never had a problem and it was rare for a P - Plater as all my mates had v8 commodores and falcons. And yes I could beat them in a front wheel drive V6 VRX. I had the VRX for a year and a half before somone rammed into me and rote it off. So i baught a cheap VP commodore to get me by till the VR4' s became available, and that commodore was a piece of s#@t. Had non stop trouble with it. The VR4 has the practicality of a wagon with similar performance to a GTO. I have always liked to have something a little different to the mainstream commos, falcons and skylines.

G

Unregistered
Brocky ur first post still didn't make sense ... LOL
U said u went to get a R32 (which is not unique) then afterwards u said u say the VR4 but it had to meet requirements ... hence my comment.

Who cares ur in the best car on the market for the price :)

I get where your coming from dude, my brain wasnt completely in gear when i started typing. The full story is i didnt even know about VR4's until i saw it sitting there at the dealer, to tick all those boxes and still get change from $20k was never going to happen. So i had to comprimise, something had to go, so i picked unique to get the flick. But then all my dreams came true and i saw her sitting there and thats the story of how i met your mother.

G

Unregistered
I get where your coming from dude, my brain wasnt completely in gear when i started typing. The full story is i didnt even know about VR4's until i saw it sitting there at the dealer, to tick all those boxes and still get change from $20k was never going to happen. So i had to comprimise, something had to go, so i picked unique to get the flick. But then all my dreams came true and i saw her sitting there and thats the story of how i met your mother.

I was looking for a Pulsar GTiR to bomb up ... then saw that the VR4's were about to be approved ... Never liked the stagea which is what I needed. So when I saw how sexy the Leggys were I was like, "Yeah baby". I actually bid on a Black Galant first (auction grade 5) but missed out by about 200,000yen LOL, it went for over 750,000yen.
This place is so funny that we are all completely different people but all have the same amount of passion for such a great car.

G

Unregistered
Should have gone for the GTiR ;)

I'm halfway through doing mine up at the moment.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Proof that younger people are taking notice of our cars. Pulled into a supermarket car park today and stop to let a unhappy looking schoolkid walk past. When he saw my car his eyes nearly popped out of his head, he started pointing and shouting and then ran off in the opposite direction. By the time i parked my car and got out, there were round 8 school kids grouped around the back of the car, all looking and talking amongst themselves...was the biggest and most random response i've had driving this car around haha.

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Why the Leggie

Well really! I just like the feeling it gives me!

Iam an old fart yes! I have kids yes! I brought this car for practicality NO! I traded in a Mazda MPV for this.

Young kids today just dont get it! Can you throw a matt in the back of a Skyline and go down the coast for a surf and stay? Does anyone remember when young folks use to have wagons that they use to go away with surf board on the roof to have some fun at the drop of a hat?? They are a bit too concerned now a days I think with comforts.

I brought this car cause I need to feel something when I drive and I feel good driving the Legnum and my VR-4.

Finally the decision maker in my family (my wonderful wife) agrees one drive in the leggie and she said "I am sick of driving the Titanic! Get me this car!" simple.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'm 21 and love my car...... My mates love my car, but would never buy one lol..... They own 180sx's

They are all tradies, i think it may have something to do with all us tech heads on here understanding the technology in these vehicles.

Not to mention the beatiful styling :D..... Oh, and practicality!

G

Unregistered
well i was 26 when i bought the car and having lived in singapore until 1996 i saw the std galants come out there just before i left and they were hawwtt especially in the tv ads!! But i never really gave a thought until i decided to get a decent car and lo and behold i see a galant vr-4 now available for import.

Did some reading up and it was basically a larger evo which im also a fan of although i prefer the styling of the galant. Its just hot :)

snuff vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adrian
Drive
2JZ Cressida
2JZ Prado
Miss VR4's
They're not just for oldies!! I got my first vr4 when i was 18! im 24 now and have just bought my 4th vr4.. love them! owned two jap spec 1990 models and two jap spec 1993 v6tt models :)

Top Bottom